Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

JP McManus’s son in legal bid to keep wife’s toxicology report private

A toxicology report on the corpse of Emma McManus, the daughter-in-law of billionaire JP McManus, who died in Barbados during the Christmas holidays, has been received by the island’s coroner, who will now investigate the cause of her death.

The paper, however, was not read into evidence yesterday because the attorneys for her husband, John McManus, intensified their efforts to keep the topic out of the public eye.

In the early hours of December 30th, 2016, her husband discovered her body at their Sandy Lane home, where she was 40 years old and the mother of three children under nine years old.

According to the results of an autopsy performed by an independent coroner at the request of the McManus legal team, Ms McManus died as a consequence of asphyxia caused by choking on food.

An urgent appeal has been filed on John McManus’s behalf by local solicitors Sacha Kissoon and Maya Carrington, who have asked the high court to impose an interim injunction restraining the proceedings in the coroner’s court until the case is resolved.

The attorneys for John McManus contend that the coroner was biassed in his contacts with him and that he erred in denying him the opportunity to be represented by an attorney throughout the proceedings.

The injunction was denied.

Aside from that, the attorneys would like to keep the details of the toxicology report and the autopsy from the public’s view.

However, the injunction sought by the counsel was denied by Judge Shona Griffith, who presided over the application hearing. She stated that she hoped to get the case completed by the end of March.

As a result, when the coroner’s inquest came up for hearing yesterday, it was deferred until further notice. Graveney Bannister, the coroner magistrate, expressed regret that the procedures would not be able to proceed as planned.

“The proceedings will be postponed to a later date as a result of an application filed by the McManus family in the afternoon of yesterday,” he explained.

In reference to the application that was filed, he stated that “we are expecting guidance from the [civil] court, therefore we will wait for that.”


Mr. McManus and his counsel did not appear in court on Wednesday.

The coroner’s court heard evidence from John McManus during the first public hearing of the inquiry in January, during which he denied having called the coroner’s office and acknowledged to having used “a little cocaine.”

As a response to the allegations, John McManus stated in court: “I will gladly take a test for it in order to establish that I am correct and what you are saying is incorrect,” according to reports.